Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Kirito's Avatars from "Sword Art Online"


Incompetent Anime:

Our younger son has just finished watching the second season of the anime series "Sword Art Online" and asked me to draw all of the avatars of one of his favorite characters.

He made this request despite the fact that my sons agree that I don't do anime well. They are quite enamoured of the anime style, saucer eyed, almost noseless faces, and that decoratively spikey hair! They have both spent time perfecting their own drawings of "anime eyes" with giant double highlights.

The older child often asks me if I think that he physically reassembles an anime character. My usual response is, "compared to what?...or to whom?" Realistic depiction does not seem the primary aim of anime. Yes, my son has relatively large eyes, not a particularly protuberant nose, rather wayward hair, and some might describe him as "pretty," (don't tell him)  Maybe he looks a bit more anime than some other Caucasian 13 year old boys.

I could tell that the 9 year old was definitely not impressed with my efforts here, although he did his best to reassure me that I had done an acceptable job. He has matured a lot over the last year, and while no less a harsh critic of my drawing, he really tries to soften the blow as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment