Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Hyperkeratosis with Pandiculating Pseudopodia


#inktober drawing #3
#MaybeYouShouldSeeADoctorAboutThat

Continuing the non-napkin series of drawings  based on sciencey terminology inspired by my recent marination in pseudo and alternative medical research.

To explain a little: I came down with an autoimmune condition involving my skin at the beginning of the summer. Needless to say, many have suffered much worse things. If you have to choose between, say something overtly life threatening like cancer, and a really gross rash on your face, neck, arms and legs, well, no contest, right? 

I tried to see it as a fashion opportunity: Sunglasses, a stylish scarf, arm sleeves (they come in fun patterns and make it look like you might be healing some cool arm tattoos) and new long pants to wear during the hot days of summer. 

Everyone from my internist to my dental hygienist was happy to inform me that once I had an autoimmune condition, I was surely going to have it for the rest of my life, so there was some work to do on the acceptance of my situation and the mourning of my ability to every wear short sleeves in public again without frightening strangers on the train.

I would have identified myself as a pretty healthy specimen before the advent of the disorder...never really got sick, able to take care of everyone else, able to function on 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night for 13 years...

Clearly my skin was telling me that I had committed some health crimes and was not really in great shape after all. 

The short version of the story is that after a lot of research and some slightly scary alternative treatment, involving not eating a lot of stuff, and not eating at all for several days at a time, my skin is all better for the moment....(strangely it is more compliant that it has ever been)

But, while presently asymptomatic, I am still afflicted with a mild obsession with health issues.  Thus, the terminology in this series of drawings. And probably the grossness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment