Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Topical Mimesis of Hormetic Stressors


What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger...Unless It Annoys You to Death.

Or...

Poor Self-Regulation Can Be Contagious.

#inktober2016
#MaybeYouShouldSeeADoctorAboutThat

Hormesis "is a biological phenomenon whereby a beneficial effect (improved health, stress tolerance, growth or longevity) results from exposure to low doses of an agent that is otherwise toxic or lethal when given at higher doses." Exercise might be described as hormetic. Antioxidants in food could be another example. 

Thinking about about my immediate superficial stressors, I kept coming back to the people yelling at me...either in my own house or virtually on TV. 

Of course they are yelling because they are poor self regulators...either because they are children...or problematic adults. 

But I find that stress...and annoyance...can certainly be contagious, perhaps more often than it is hormetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment